Neurological Program at Motion Physical Therapy
Nearly one million people suffer a stroke each year in the United States. A stroke, or a cerebrovascular accident, occurs when blood supply to part of the brain is disrupted, causing a shortage of oxygen and brain cells to die. There are two types of strokes – Ischemic, where the stroke is caused by an interruption of the blood supply to the brain, or Hemorrhagic, where the stroke is due to a rupture of a blood vessel or an abnormal vascular structure. Depending on the severity and location of the stroke, a person may have a variety of different post stroke symptoms, including loss of balance, loss of coordination, muscle weakness, difficulty walking, and difficulty with fine and gross motor movements. At Motion Physical Therapy, our highly trained and experienced therapists have had success in assisting patients in their recovery after a stroke. We have an extensive post-stroke treatment program that uses the following tools to work with patients in their recovery.
- Our goal is for the patient to regain as much function and strength as possible to allow the person to be as independent as possible.
- We work on regaining as much function in the hands and arms as possible.
- We assist with regaining and relearning the skills of everyday living, such as mobility around the home, in and out of bed, and transferring from place to place.
- We assist with the procurement of appropriate assistive devices and/or leg braces if needed, to restore the patient’s ability to walk as soon as possible.
- If a brace is needed, we work directly with the orthotist to ensure the proper brace is issued and proper function is achieved.
- We utilize state of the art equipment such as the recumbent bike, Nu-step exerciser, upper body ergometer, Pilates reformer, and treadmill to assist with the recovery of strength, function and endurance.
- We utilize the “lite Gait” Body Weight Support System, which is very effective in stroke recover by allowing the therapist to:
- Control the amount of weight the patient bears
- Facilitate the proper gait pattern
- Work on symmetry and weight shifting
- Adjust for one sided weakness.
- Studies have shown the use of the Body Weight Support System has been effective with improvement of motor recovery, balance and endurance.
We also utilize the same treatment principles to effectively treat other neurological impairments such as Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s, traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injuries. At Motion Physical Therapy, we are passionate about our patients. We strive to provide treatment that will restore you to your highest level of performance at your job, your sport and all of your daily activities. Through our use of cutting edge science, human kinetics and technology, we will work to keep you free from pain and keep you healthy.