Physical Therapy Modalities at Motion Physical Therapy
Nearly everyone has heard about physical therapy, but when someone goes to physical therapy, what exactly is happening? Physical therapy uses a wide variety of tools and treatments, or modalities, to help a person to feel better. At Motion Physical therapy, as we work with you we use those modalities to assist with tissue healing and the reduction of pain. Our experienced staff will assess your injury or surgical recovery and apply the appropriate modality to help enhance the effects of manual therapy, therapeutic exercise and functional training. We will use our skills to help progress you towards a favorable recovery, and help you to learn how to keep yourself as healthy and as pain free as possible. You will be provided with an ongoing reassessment to be sure your treatments and the types of modalities we use are appropriate, and we will make changes as needed in the modalities and intensity of your therapy to assure your optimal recovery.
At Motion Physical Therapy, there are an enormous variety of modalities we can employ, but here are some of the tools we use for treatment:
- Class III and IV Cold Lasers – use light (electromagnetic energy) to promote tissue healing, decrease inflammation and reduce pain.
- Ultrasound – uses sound waves to heat tissues with high collagen content such as tendons, ligaments and fascia.Â Ultrasound is effect in increasing soft tissue extensibility, increasing circulation, reducing pain and reducing muscle spasms.
- Electrical Stimulation uses electrical current to facilitate muscle strengthening and the reduction of pain, edema and muscle spasms.
- Iontophoresis uses electrical current to deliver medicine through the skin to specific areas to reduce pain and swelling.
- Traction/Spinal Decompression uses mechanical force to work with the vertebrae in the neck and back to assist in reducing disc protrusions (bulges). This is effective in reducing pain, numbness in the arms and legs, and is helpful in facilitating relaxation in the neck and back muscles.
- Moist hot packs use moist heat to increase tissue flexibility, reduce pain and assist with muscle relaxation.
- Ice Pack/Ice Massage helpful in controlling inflammation, reducing pain, decreasing spasms and reducing muscle soreness after exercise.
At Motion Physical Therapy, we are passionate about our patients. We strive to provide treatment that will restore you to your highest level of performance at your job, your sport and all of your daily activities. Through our use of cutting edge science, human kinetics and technology, we will work to keep you free from pain and keep you healthy.